This how-to will show you simple way of changing documents icon in sharepoint 2010.
Grab an image file with 16×16 pixel size in either jpeg, png or gif. Best to choose an image that representing the file type it associates with.
In this example I’ll change pdf icon. So let’s say you already download a 16×16 px image file in .png format.
- In your sharepoint server, browse to “%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\IMAGES”
- Copy your image file and paste it to the above folder
- Rename the file to icpdf.png (just to make it clear that it’s icon for pdf files)
- Browse again to “%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\XML”
- Find DOCICON.XML file and open it with notepad
- Under <ByExtension> add the following line <Mapping Key=”pdf” Value=”icpdf.png”/> (note the file extension and image file name you previously set)
- Save the file
- Do IISreset to see the changes (just launch command prompt and type in iisreset and press enter button)
- You’re done. Easy huh …